“Be Distinct,” Quest Men’s Bible Study | February 17, 2021 | Matthew 5:27-32
KEY TRUTH: Hold on to purity at all costs.
- Join us at 7:00 am in the Parlor at The Shepherd’s Church. (Come a little early for coffee and a light breakfast.)
- Do you have a health risk related to COVID-19? You can participate via Zoom using THIS LINK.
- Immediately following the large group, we break into discussion / prayer groups. If you are not yet in a group, contact Scott Wylie.
Outline and Discussion Questions:
QUESTION: Have you purposefully filled your time with noise or activity in order to avoid having to think about or deal with an issue in your heart?
Truth 1: Jesus calls us to identify and deal ruthlessly with our temptations toward impurity. (Matthew 5:27-30)
Three Key Steps:
- Identify the source of your problem.
- Deal ruthlessly with the temptation.
- Replace the temptation with something better.
QUESTION: What are the dividing lines between “pure” and “impure” in today’s world? How has our culture tried to define and influence our beliefs and actions related to purity? How does the culture’s view of purity contrast to the Bible’s view of purity?
- QUESTION: Our culture’s views of morality is so twisted that a man who lives a pure life will stand out. How can we be ruthless in resisting impurity without being judgmental and condemning?
- QUESTION: What can you identify as a source of temptation in your life, and how can you deal ruthlessly with it? (If you’re not comfortable discussing this with your group, use this question for personal reflection.)
Truth 2: Jesus calls us to a high view of marriage and marital fidelity. (Matthew 5:31-32)
QUESTION: Who in your life can you look to as a model of faithfulness? How has that person or couple impacted your view of what true faithfulness looks like?
QUESTION: How do we love God and love others in a culture of divorce? How can we communicate and support a biblical standard for marriage without alienating those inside and outside the church who have personal experience with divorce? How do we demonstrate a positive example of purity in today’s culture?
- QUESTION: What are some keys to maintaining faithfulness in marriage over the long haul? (Answer this from Scripture passages you know or from your personal experience.)
- PERSONAL REFLECTION: What are some keys to maintaining faithfulness in marriage over the long haul? (Answer this from Scripture passages you know or from your personal experience.)